Monday, October 6, 2014

31 DAYS OF DREW 2 - DAY 6: KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE

Every horrorhound's favorite month is upon us, and to celebrate, I'll be dishing out film recommendations for every day in October. I hope you enjoy the month with some good movies, even if they aren't ones I recommend!

Today's Pick: Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)


You know, I could try and talk about this film from the point of a film nerd, mentioning the great effects work by the Chiodo brothers (who worked on Critters). I could talk about its clever send-up of 50's sci-fi flicks. I could mention that veteran actor John Vernon manages to be surly, amusing and even truly creepy during certain scenes in the movie. There's a lot of directions I could go when recommending Killer Klowns from Outer Space. But, that title pretty much does all the work for me, doesn't it?

I mean, this is a movie in which extraterrestrial clowns land on Earth and cocoon people in cotton candy so they can feast on them. I really want to be all professional and sound like some highfalutin film critic, but it's really hard to do that when you're talking about a film where a shadow puppet eats a crowd of people.


I guess I could mention the opening theme song by The Dickies. It's really catchy and ends up stuck in your head more often than you'd care to admit. Anything else and I'll just be talking about wonderfully goofy bits from the movie, like when the clowns make a balloon animal dog and it comes to life to help them track down their victims.


I'm not going in depth with this one. If the title alone has your piqued your silly curiosity, seek this movie out. Is it a little to wacky for its own good? Yeah, probably. But it's more than worth an hour and a half of your life. If you can tolerate the over-the-(big)top antics and the honestly unnerving designs of the clowns, this is a good movie to get a little inebriated to. If nothing in this movie makes you laugh, maybe you are a sad person.

Okay, tomorrow we get serious again. I've picked on Scream far too much. Let's give Wes Craven some praise. See you then!

31 Days of Drew 2 (2014)


31 Days of Drew (2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment